About Me

My photo
Hidalgo, Texas, United States
24/7/365 Educator! I really love what I do and love to implement technology as much as I can, to meet the needs of my digital native students. I consider myself a teekducator (technology geek+educator) and like to take advantage of Web2.0. I'm an Instructional Media Masters Graduate from Wilkes University and am currently finalizing my Principalship from Lamar University! I'm a 5th Grade teacher @ Valley View 5th Grade Campus, this is my fifth year teaching! =)

Sunday, April 3, 2011

(u03a1) Research & Analyze: Review & Contact

I've decided to contact StudyIsland on the issue of its reading section.  Although my students and I love to use StudyIsland, I do hear a lot of complaints that they don't like to use the reading section because most of the time they have to read very long passages just to answer 1-4 questions.  Because I ask them to do anywhere from 12-15 questions per area, this plays a large toll on them to complete and doesn't motivate them at all.  Every time I check my class progress math outnumbers reading greatly because of this time consuming passages.  I'm considering that StudyIsland create one paragraph stories instead of long passages, this way students won't feel exhausted and motivated to do and complete the reading section. I'll keep you posted on the feedback.

Contact UPDATE 4/5/11
Melissa Ray from StudyIsland contacted me yesterday on my initial concern.  She delightedly gave me thanks for my concern and feedback to their site.  She let me know that she would pass on my message to the development team for a possible future update to the program and consider the revisions for the reading section.  I hope to hear from the development team soon, but I know that they don't develop and make changes on an everyday basis!  Maybe I'll see a change next school year, but I'm pleased with the information that Melissa gave me up to now, I will surely pass it on to my students and tell them that their comments are being looked at.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment