About Me

My photo
Hidalgo, Texas, United States
24/7/365 Educator! I really love what I do and love to implement technology as much as I can, to meet the needs of my digital native students. I consider myself a teekducator (technology geek+educator) and like to take advantage of Web2.0. I'm an Instructional Media Masters Graduate from Wilkes University and am currently finalizing my Principalship from Lamar University! I'm a 5th Grade teacher @ Valley View 5th Grade Campus, this is my fifth year teaching! =)

Monday, September 6, 2010

Video Segment Lesson: Miss. Nelson is Back

I introduce and teach a new skill weekly in reading, and as the weeks progress I accumulate the previous skills and the new ones, so that my students are constantly practicing them.  I always like to show them a clip weekly where they can tie in the week skill as long as with previous skills.  My goal is for my students not only to recognize and incorporate the skills in reading, but all around them.  By using video segments from discovery education, they are more vigilant and aware of what surrounds them.  Normally kids don't seem to take their reading skills out of text, and after I show them and we incorporate the skills through video segments, they tend to view their surroundings differently and analyze the majority of their everyday life.  Aside from the video segments, I play songs in which they have to analyze and recognize the reading skills in it, again which demonstrates the endless ideas in which they can associate their reading skills. 


Miss. Nelson is Back
Goals: TSW analyze, recognize, and record Main Idea, Theme, Setting, Character Analysis, Compare and Contrast, and Sequence in the video segment of Miss. Nelson is Back. 
     TSW answer the following questions after the video segment.
  • Main Idea--What is the main idea of the whole selection? 
  • Theme--What lesson did the students of room 207 learn?
  • Setting--What is the setting at the beginning of the story?  Did the setting change, and what were they?
  • Character Analysis--Describe at least 3 characters in the story.
  • Compare and Contrast--Compare and Contrast Miss. Nelson to Mis. Swamp using a Venn-diagram.
  • Sequence--State 5 events in chronological order using a flow chart.
Other Ways to Incorporate This Video:
  1. Showing and demonstrating why responsibility is important.
  2. Showing and demonstrating why we should respect ourselves and others.
  3. Demonstrating the notion of always taking your actions into account.
  4. Discussing the notion of what could happen if you skip school.
  5. Make predictions for the students of room 207 next time Miss. Nelson is out, would those predictions be vaild for you, if your teacher was out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment