About Me

My photo
Hidalgo, Texas, United States
24/7/365 Educator! I really love what I do and love to implement technology as much as I can, to meet the needs of my digital native students. I consider myself a teekducator (technology geek+educator) and like to take advantage of Web2.0. I'm an Instructional Media Masters Graduate from Wilkes University and am currently finalizing my Principalship from Lamar University! I'm a 5th Grade teacher @ Valley View 5th Grade Campus, this is my fifth year teaching! =)

Monday, September 13, 2010

Synthesizing the Mind through Music Analysis

A fun and productive digital interdisciplinary approach that I use in my classroom is an activity based on Music Analysis. Since most songs have a storyline background, with plots, solutions, feelings, themes, and morals, I have my students create and answer questions from the reading process. Through this they must identify the following:

  1. Character traits
  2. Setting
  3. Sequence of Events
  4. Was there a moral or lesson learned?
  5. Did the character change from beginning to end?
  6. What is the main idea of the song (story)?
  7. Summary (WWBST: Who, Wanted, But, So, Then)
  8. Plot
  9. Resolution
  10. Author’s Purpose

By doing this my students are aware and recognize the reading process outside of text and they are able to value learning and the world around them, plus listen and learn about a variety of genres and cultural background. Not only do they master their reading skills within, they become more vivid in the English language. Since the majority of my students are ELLs and LEPs, listening to music and analyzing helps them expand their English comprehension as well as acquire and understand new words.

No comments:

Post a Comment