About Me

My photo
Hidalgo, Texas, United States
24/7/365 Educator! I really love what I do and love to implement technology as much as I can, to meet the needs of my digital native students. I consider myself a teekducator (technology geek+educator) and like to take advantage of Web2.0. I'm an Instructional Media Masters Graduate from Wilkes University and am currently finalizing my Principalship from Lamar University! I'm a 5th Grade teacher @ Valley View 5th Grade Campus, this is my fifth year teaching! =)

Sunday, March 27, 2011

u02a1: CC Your Work

I've selected to use the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license for my blog.  According to Creative Commons (2001), this specific license lets others:
·         Remix, tweak, and build upon my work non-commercially, and
·         Although their new works must also acknowledge the primary parties contribution/work, and
·         Be non-commercial as well, yet
·         The new party doesn’t have to license their derivative works on the same terms.
Being an educator, I see that with my work I’ve help other educators and used other’s work, or build upon other’s work to meet what I need to implement in my classroom.  Furthermore, I see my work as non-profit, because I’m not selling it I’m using it myself and if it can help my colleagues then fabulous.  Therefore, I chose this license because I feel that my work is free for others to use and build upon non-commercially and implement their new work non-commercially, since I didn’t sell it in the first place.  Plus as long as they acknowledge that their new content/work came from my previous idea or work I feel that they are not plagiarizing or taking all the credit, and crediting me for my efforts.  I’ve always lived by the motto my teachers taught me long ago, “Always give credit where credit is due, because you’d always like to get that same credit back for your own work.”
As a teacher I would encourage my students to look into and choose this specific license for their personal work because of the first three key points and explain to them what would occur if someone wants to use or build upon their original work through this license.  I would tell them how the CC BY-NC license plays on their work as follows: 
·         Students work is non-profitable, thus non-commercial, so if they are not making any profits those who want to build upon their work shouldn’t either, and 
·         Because the primary party is the major contributor to the new parties work, they should acknowledge the primary parties initial ideas (Creative Commons, 2001).

References
Creative Commons.  (2001, December 19).  About the Licenses.  Retrieved March 23, 2011, from Creative Commons:  https://creativecommons.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment